The old-school deli classics, like chicken salad, tuna salad, and egg salad, are all notable for having mayo, onion, celery…and not much else. We still use mayo as the binding element of this salad but elevate the flavor-profile with other ingredients that really work well together with tuna, like fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, and parsley. Finally, if a sandwich is in your future, this is awesome with pumpernickel rye (our personal favorite). If you want to do something non-traditional, this works quite well on some cooked quinoa or on a simple green salad.
- 12 ounces canned tuna in water, drained (the higher quality, the better)
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole/coarse grain dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Serve on your favorite bread or crackers.