Who says you need a weekend to cook championship worthy barbecue? Thanks to chicken thighs, you can smoke amazing barbecue chicken in under an hour. All you need is a great spice blend, store-bought barbecue sauce with some integrity, and an ice cold beer while it smokes. We personally love the Pig Powder from AllSpice or Cowtown’s Seasonings (originally found at Joe’s KC). And remember the key to smoking – if you’re looking, than its not cooking!
- 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup of your favorite barbecue spice blend. We really like Pig Powder from Allspice or .
- ¼ cup of your favorite Texas style barbecue sauce
- Cherry and Applewood chips for smoking
- Heat a smoker to 275-300 degrees. In the meantime, season the chicken thighs liberally with your spice blend. Add wood chips to the smoker, then put the chicken thighs on the grill. Cover and smoke for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, check the chicken for doneness. Gently coat the chicken thighs with barbecue sauce on one side, and cook for 5 minutes, cover, then repeat. Serve with a salad, cold beer, and you got yourself some fine barbecue!
Looking for a smoker? We highly recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain!