One of my favorite food memories from growing up is summer dinners with freshly sliced tomatoes from the garden. Add a little pinch of salt and balsamic vinegar, and you have a complete salad! This year is our first summer growing our own vegetable garden. It has had its ups and downs (serious props to all organic gardeners out there), but we are really enjoying it — which shouldn’t be surprising since we love food and love cooking!
Right now our tomatoes and cucumbers are going crazy. So I’ve probably made this salad at least 5 times in the last month to use up everything and because it is just really delicious! Plus it takes about 5 minutes to make and can pretty much go with anything — grilled chicken, pork chops, burgers, you name it. The recipe originated from my mother-in-law (Sam’s mom), and can easily be tweaked depending on your tastes.
- 3 cucumbers, sliced
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced or 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 shallots, diced or ½ red onion, diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp red wine vinegar (adjust depending on how much bite you want from the vinegar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (adjust depending on how much bite you want from the vinegar)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mix everything together. Let set for at least 5-10 minutes before serving for enhanced flavor.
Bonus!! Some of our favorite cookbooks to use during the summer: